Free Spirit Knee Walker Use
Before using the knee walker, it's important that you refer to the image and information below to ensure your safety and comfort.
Preparing the Free Spirit Knee Walker for Use:
- The tiller (handle bar) is shipped unassembled. Slip the tiller over the front bracket. Insert bolts through bracket and tighten nuts. Slip the padded knee rest into the hold provided. Lock it in place at the desired height, using the black knob an bolt provided. Tighten the knob securely.
- Adjust the tiller up or down according to your height. Make sure the knob is fully tightened.
- Adjust the padded knee rest up or down according to your height. Make sure the knob is fully tightened.
- Check to make sure the tiller latch is tight.
- Check all tires to make sure they are not worn or cracked. (A Leg Up has replacement tires you can purchase, should you need them.)
- Test the loop hand brakes to ensure that they are in good working order.
- The tiller will fold for transportation and storage. For safety purposes, it has a double latch.
- The quick release lever should be folded in when in use. Lift lever to release when folding. The tension knob on the left can be used to allow the lever to be closed and opened. The black pull pin will allow the tiller to fold completely when pulled. A Leg Up will demonstrate how to fold the tiller after releasing both safety locks.
Loop Hand Brake Operation:
(Always operate wheel locks on both sides at the same time.)
- To Slow or Stop Unit Temporarily pull up on the loops with your fingers until the scooter slows or stops.
- To Lock Wheels in Position push the hand loops away from the tiller until you "feel" the brake pads lock onto the wheels.
- To Release Wheel Locks use your fingers to pull the loop handles back toward the handle bar into their original position.
When you start using your Free Spirit Knee Walker:
- Practice turns slowly until you get the "feel" of your knee walker.
- Do not mount or dismount the knee walker on an incline.
- Stay on hard surfaces and off grass and sand.
- Do not use knee walker on or over stairs.
When the knee walker is in use, make sure the black pull pin on tiller latch is in the closed position and the quick release lever is folded in toward knee scooter.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY TIPS:
- Do not use the Free Spirit Knee Walker on stairs or escalator.
- Do not let someone push you. The Free Spirit Knee Walker is not designed to be used as a wheelchair.
- Do not stand on the Free Spirit Knee Walker.
- Always lock the loop hand brakes when getting off the Free Spirit Knee Walker.
- Do not try to ride your Free Spirit Knee Walker over curbs or rough terrain.
Serving the Greater Bay Area for over 10 years!